- Ibrahim J. Awad, Esq.
10 Useful Tips When Pulled Over
1. Always place your hands on the wheel.
- Avoid jerky movements or reaching under your seat or center console.
2. Know you are protected by the 5th amendment
- Consider answering non-invasive questions related to the reason for the stop.
- Don't volunteer information
3. Be Polite
- Answer with "Yes, sir" and "No, sir"
4. Always ask for the reason you were stopped
5. You have the right to refuse a search
- Understand that your car may be searched regardless
- Do not ever physically resist the search
- Only verbalize your refusal
6. Do not be intimidated by the officer
- Be persistent, but polite
7. Do not compromise your position & open the trunk
- If you do consent to a search, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
8. In GA, only one party needs to consent to an audio/video recording.
- Place the recording device away from officer so as to not assume a confrontational posture
9. If questioned about recording, say that is is for your protection
10. If a K-9 unit arrives, the dog may check the perimeter of your vehicle
- Police may not unreasonably prolong your detention waiting for the K-9 unit
- Record amount of time K-9 unit takes to arrive
- To ensure appropriate commands are administered, video record the police guiding the K-9